There is a Shrimp Behind the Stone

I am excited to start blogging as a part of my learning journey. I know that blog has been used widely by people to express their thoughts, share experiences, or review certain products (Lately, I have been visiting some beauty blogs to find out how to do a skincare routine properly ๐Ÿ˜). But, I have just known that it is also possible for a blog to become a marketplace. 

Last Friday, I came to my ICT class and discussed the use of blogs as a learning tool. The teacher asked us to review an assigned blog to get ourselves engaged in the blog using. Lessonstream.com is the one I reviewed. I will divide my review into two sections: appearance and content.

Appearance 

It looks professional! The pages are managed into four categories (home, about, blog, community, and join the membership), I could see it as more than just a writing publication platform as soon as I saw the phrase "join membership which is emphasized by different color and shape. The categorization makes the navigation clear and presentable. It is easy for me to find more detailed information in the blog. Interestingly, I also found that the blogger carefully defined different functions of different colors he used in the pages and subheadings fonts. I feel like it navigates me to the content categories. Not only that, but the nude color palette choice also leaves the sense of up-to-date and dynamic views to the presented blog contents. Another navigation tool used by the blogger is the links attached in the post. ups... there it is...๐Ÿ‘€ some links will navigate us to the product display (well, I will discuss it more in the content section๐Ÿ˜Ž)

Overall, the blog is well organized and presented. Now, let's move to the content section!

Content 

There is a shrimp behind the stone



We (Indonesian) use this quote when we find the true reason why someone gave us something for free (ulterior motive). Reading the posts in this blog offers me insights into what and how to teach English. The title and the picture in each post attracted me to read more. I can tell that the posts are oriented to knowledge exchange, until ....the links of their 'real offer' are there. It will guide us to the lesson plan they sell. By then, it reminds me of what Fairclough (2003) explained in his book, Analysing Discourse: Textual Analysis for Social Research, that nowadays written texts are meant not only for knowledge exchange but also for soft-sell advertisement. The blogger makes the posts as a display of the products he sells, a justification of why it is worth buying the lesson plan or joining the community by subscribing to the membership. 

Apart from the marketing function it has, the blog can also be a platform for teachers to learn and share. There is new content in the blog called "LessonStream Live". The blogger will be sharing practical story/storytelling ideas and tips for teachers live on Youtube and Facebook twice a month. Check on this video if you are interested! 



Finally, thank you for reading my first post, and would love to know what you think in the comment section ๐Ÿ˜‰


sources:

Images: https://www.pexels.com/

video: lessonstream.com



Comments

  1. Hi Ika, really nice blog and I like the title/quote you have used :)
    I couldn't see anywhere to subscribe/follow you on here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, thanks, the quote just came up to my mind when I found the lesson plan links! haha . oh yes, I have not activated it, thanks for letting me know :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ika! I enjoyed reading your blog - the layout and content are very user-friendly๐Ÿ‘
    You also mentioned useful points in your evaluation, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thanks for reading. I am still exploring on how to manage and present the blog page :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry, I didn't mean that! Please, could you delete those duplicated comments ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜†

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ika, This is a great first post! You seem to have a natural flair for blogging as you have very easily found your 'voice' and presented some really interesting content. Your readers will know that it is worth coming back to see what you say next! Great that you have embedded a video as well - all good technical skills. Thanks for explaining the 'Shrimp behind the stone' title - I was curious!! I like the fact that you have made it your background too. Your titles are nice and simple so you have an 'uncluttered' look. Well done - you've already got some others' comments so you are off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Tilly. I was nervous to click on the publish button because this is the first time for me to write my thoughts. I used to write stories and poems in my old blog on Tumblr.

      Delete
  5. Hi Ika. It's nice to learn a Indonesia phrase and I can see you did a lot study. I will learn from you haha. Look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahahhaha no waay, Hao. It was my reading list in the previous term assignment :P

      Delete
  6. Hi Ika, I really like your title and it's very interesting. You also do a lot of extra reading. I can't wait to see you future post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hongyan, thank you, believe me I did not do anything extra, it was just the previous reading from last term assignment :D

      Delete
  7. Nice post Ika, the first image you used captivated me and made me more curious to want to read on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Bola. the shrimp seems good at hiding, right? lol

      Delete
  8. Hi Ika, I like the title of this blog and it arouses my interest to read through. Also, nice picture attracts my eyeballs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ika.... Your first post is really well-written and organized. I like your reference to the use of colours to attract the reader attention to important features or facts. Bright colours are meant to do that job ;)....Your metaphor using the proverb is really expressive. It's a good way to show your point. Overall, I like the blog and its layout. Nice start. Keep the good job, Ika.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yumnaaa, I think I need to learn how to generate and structure my ideas, hope you can help with that wkwk

      Delete

Post a Comment